This blog covers what often simmers in sales teams of the best organizations….
Sales feels “neglected” when marketing takes all the kudos for the results, and feel singed when they take the heat for results NOT delivered!!
reasons are numerous and in this blog I will take just 5 that I feel are important right now to start this discussion..
REASON #1: Marketeers act superior.
- Description: Marketeers often have business degrees, so they think they’re better than sales reps who don’t need a degree to sell.
- Why It Rankles: Business degrees are generally useless when it comes to sales and marketing, since what’s taught is a mix of accounting and biz-blab.
- What’s The Cure: Require MBAs to spend at least six months in Sales before being allowed to work in Marketing.
REASON #2: Marketeers want to eliminate Sales.
- Description: Marketeers are taught in business school that good marketing makes a sales force unnecessary.
- Why It Rankles: Unless a product is a plug-and-play commodity, a sales rep is always a necessity. Especially in B2B.
- What’s The Cure: Make it clear in the charter of the marketing team that they are there to support the sales team, not to replace it.
REASON #3: Marketeers believe selling is easy.
- Description: Marketeers think that they can create so much demand that selling will consist purely of taking orders.
- Why It Rankles: Most demand creation activities don’t create demand, especially in B2B, where customers generally ignore ads and collateral.
- What’s The Cure: Have the marketeers make sales calls – or field inside sales calls – so they can see how hard it is.
REASON #4: Marketeers are goaled on deliverables.
- Description: Marketeers get paid when they produce leads, brochures and ads, even if none of that activity results in a single sale.
- Why It Rankles: If sales pros don’t make sales, they don’t get paid and, if it goes on long, they get fired.
- What’s The Cure: Goal and compensate Marketing on the ability of the Sales team to generate revenue and profit from Marketing’s leads.
REASON #5: Marketeers think they’re “driving Sales.”
- Description: Marketeers see selling as only one tactic in a grandiose strategic campaign.
- Why It Rankles: Sales reps know that marketing is only a service function to the sales team, which makes the uppity behavior annoying.
- What’s The Cure: Make it clear that Marketing is subservient to Sales by placing the CMO under the CSO.
Please do post your views on this blog…AND i would love to have comments from both SALES and MARKETING!!
5 MORE reasons to follow …so keep watching this space!!