This is the last in the series ” Top 5 Dirty Tricks Customers Play on Sales Reps”.
This one is a gem and a classic of the list of tricks that our customers play with us.
This one is not for the faint hearted folks!
DIRTY TRICK #5. The Last-Minute Discount.
- Explanation: The customer demands for a steep discount after the price has already been defined.
- Example: “There will be no deal unless you agree to drop the price 25 percent.”
- Their Hidden Agenda: They’re checking to confirm that you’ve given them the best deal.
- Your Strategy: Make it clear from the start that you are offering the best price possible.
- What YOU Say: “I don’t play the games that some of my competitors play. You will always get the best price from me the first time around. If we need to remove something from the quote to meet your budget, we can certainly do that.”
- What Will Happen: The prospect will back down from the demand, and you will get more respect from them in the future.
- Warning: You ABSOLUTELY must be willing to walk away from the deal.
Simply put, be prepared to say an emphatic NO to such machinations by the customer- be polite when you do walk away so as not to burn bridges, because there is every chance that the customer will realize his folly and try to re start the process through back door perhaps…you would not want to miss the chance to nail the deal then, would you?