I have been blogging at length on the subject of sales management, selling skills, sales attitude AND also the struggle of the best of us in a global economy in the throes of recession…
It is very easy to become despondent in this scenario and to let the situation get the better of you…how ever if you have sales smarts, and above average EQ (Emotional Quotient) then you can certainly train yourself in these trying times to succeed!
Here are the five quickest way to get your brain in shape for a motivated attitude:
- Avoid negative thought patterns. Stop thinking in terms of “I can’t,” “It’s impossible,” or “This won’t work.” Negative thought patterns programs you for negative results. Instead think in terms of what you can accomplish and what will work.
- Emphatically express positive emotion. Never pass up an opportunity to express a positive feeling. For example, if someone asks “How are You?” respond enthusiastically with “Terrific!” or “Fabulous!” And then decide to feel that way.
- Don’t waste your mental energy. Worrying about things over which you have no control is the most useless of all human endeavors. Most news stories deal with issues that don’t affect your daily life. So spend your driving time listening to music or inspirational speeches.
- Stop griping about problems. What good does complaining about things do? It just depresses you and everyone else in the process. Focusing on what’s lousy about the economy, your company and your customers just sets you up for failure.
- Substitute neutral words to calm wayward emotions. For example, if you’re angry, rather than saying to yourself “I’m enraged!” say “I’m a bit annoyed…” or (better yet) “I’ve got a challenge here…”
Over time, using these techniques train your brain to reject the thoughts that keep you from being successful and strengthen the thoughts that make you motivated.
Further to my blogs on the subject of sales management and success in the sales roles, I am now going to share my wisdom about sales gods and what makes them tick….and from this understanding learn a few new tricks ( you can always teach a old dog new tricks!!!)
Tricks that can help those of us in sales to succeed in sales for years to come…
My mentors, my bosses who were amazing sales men , all possessed similar traits that made them stand apart from the riff raff and ensured their qualified success in their careers…so based on my personal observation I now share these pearls of wisdom with you
- They make other people feel important. While it wasn’t always easy to get time on their calendar, once I was actually speaking with them, each made me feel as if I were the most important person in the world. And that’s quite a trick, when you consider that I’m not even a customer.
- They are all unbelievably upbeat. Talk about positive. The experience of having a conversation with them left me with an “aura” of good feeling that lasted for the rest of the day. No kidding. It was an almost drug-like high.
- They obviously love their customers. Not just like them BUT Love them. Think of them as friend and family. Cared if they were happy. Cared about their lives. Cared about how the product or service fit into their customer’s life goals. Really went deep with their reverence for their clients.
- They all have fabulous product knowledge. They know what they are selling up, down and sideways. They know everything there is to know about their products. (So guys pretending to know the subject, and being superficial about your products or services will serve you only a couple of times till you are busted…so as the old adage goes, there is no short cut to success folks!!) And they aren’t afraid to point out what their product won’t do. No exaggeration or lying here ( MARK this one guys!!)
- They KNOW they are changing the world. Courage of conviction!! Even Steve Jobs, who sold Apple products ( iconic may I add), expressed a strong conviction that he was making the world a better place. All of these “sales gods” felt they were in the business of making people happy.