Hi struggling sales stars of yester years!
Feeling the heat of a struggling economy? Do you have nightmares about not making your quota targets and being presented with a beautiful pink slip on your table?
Well…you are not alone and that makes two of us!!
But having weathered many situations and economic downturns myself over the last 18 years that I have been working, I have realized that mental agility (keeping your wits about), perseverance ( always a good attitude) and an open mind ( keep options open) are key to ensure that you dont get caught in a rut and are successful in reinventing yourself in a more potent avatar!!
So here’s how you do it folks!!
- Step #1. Locate. Find the most talented and successful Key account manager in your company and ask (beg, if necessary) to let you shadow him (or her) on a couple of weeks worth of sales calls. Get your boss on your side; boss is gonna be very pleased that you are taking the initiative to learn and improve (see ..thats politically correct!)
- Step #2. Observe. Watch how he presents himself, opens up a conversation, moves the sale forward. Observe the words he uses, the way he moves his body, the way he interacts with individuals. (Take notes on your tricorder if necessary)
- Step #3. Investigate. After each sales call, ask your role model to describe what he was THINKING at each point in the sales call. You want to understand the basic beliefs and assumptions that support the successful sales behavior. (Always good to understand the perspective behind each action and reaction that you observed during the sales call)
- Step #4. Imitate. After you’ve done this for two weeks, you should have a pretty good understanding of the way that a successful sales professional THINKS about selling, and how that thinking manifests itself in specific behavior. Good time for you to jot down these key observations and to think of a way to consciously imbibe that into your system.
- Step #5. Integrate. Start trying to think and behave identically to the sales professional. It will seem odd at first and you’ll be tempted to start talking technical. However, if you emulate both the thought process and the outward behavior, you’ll eventually get similar results.
EVENTUALLY you will have evolved into a new YOU and success will be closer to you than a couple of weeks back!!